Friday 11 December 2009

To be cool again.....

I officially feel old and uncool. Last night I went with my brother to see Lily Allen (we actually went on Saturday as well cos my brother got the dates wrong first time!). Anyway, because my brother gets disability allowance we got cheaper tickets. Great, except that when we got there we were placed in the wheel chair area. This felt slightly strange. My brother can walk perfectly well and doesn't have a physical disability. He doesn't work because he will never in his life be able to attend an interview and rather than address this issue the gov would rather pay him to be 'on the sick' (but that's a rant for another post!). On appearance the only clue that my bro may not be 100% like everyone else is his refusal to conform to the basic fashion rules i.e. don't pull your trousers up above your pounch and don't tuck your t-shirt into those pulled up trousers. I've given up gently encouraging him to follow such rules and anything I've bought for him he has refused to wear because he says its either impractical or uncomfortable. (Basically pockets need to have a zip and be big enough to hold a map and trousers need to be soft and comfy.... Hmmmm.)

Anyway, here we were in the designated (and quite separate) 'disabled area' looking down at the hundreds of 16 yr old girls dressed up in their best clothes (in the style of Lily Allen as ASOS would say) feeling very uncool! Yet I felt like I had much more in common with my brother than anyone else there. I don't know when this transition took place but I'm pretty sure its irreversible. The thing is I'm not really bothered with it all anymore. It was stressful enough getting from work to my brothers in time without worrying about what to wear. Which proves maybe that I am now old as well as uncool. I just need to be careful I don't start mum dancing. I'm not quite ready to take on that transition without a fight yet...


Meanwhile my son is making his own transitions. I can't believe in 3 years he has gone from this....












....to this...



















He no longer calls the computer the 'poputer' or money 'molimly' or chocolate 'locloc' and while I do try to keep up this vocab his patience with me is wearing thin. See, while I'm only just coming to terms with being uncool, to my son I have always been uncool because being a mum I am embarrassing by default. While I look forward to him being old enough to come out to pubs with me I prob should get used to fact that my son will have different ideas.......I may as well pull my trousers up and tuck my t.shirt in now. 'Mum dancing' is acceptable at home on your own right?

No comments:

Post a Comment