Friday 8 January 2010

"But I dont feel old enough yet..."



These were the words that came out of my son's mouth this morning when we started chatting about GCSE's. My son is in year 9 and will be doing his GCSE's in 2 years. However, due to abolishing yr 9 SATs the school figured they could squeeze in a few more GCSE's to score extra points, which means at least 2 of his GCSE's he will be doing a year early. I've always been confident that he will do fine; He loves tests. He aced his yr 6 SATS with no revision. But to hear him say these words made me just want to turn the clock back, or at least slow it down a bit. My little baby doing proper exams?!? Oh god, maybe I am not ready for this. I totally freaked out when he did Grade 2 trombone. I was so nervous I could hardly drive! I need to keep cool. So I offered some reassuring words of advice: "Babes, whatever you do in life, you will never feel like you're old enough. I'm 30 and I still don't feel any older than when I was 13."

..... needless to say he wasn't impressed.















(my son a few years ago on one of the rare occasions when he actually practiced)

2 comments:

  1. I have never felt old enough to have a son X and x age etc..Still feel too young to be in charge LOL.
    It's sad really what is expected of our children now, I would have been so daunted at the thought of doing GCSE's early. It seems to be very normal now. Sad really, there is so much pressure on them My son is just doing his mocks, he's actually doing one right now at home because we are snowed in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CM. It is scary!

    Hope your son does well in his mocks. x

    ReplyDelete