Wednesday 19 May 2010

AWOL

So anyway, you may have noticed that I haven't blogged anything about the cute but funny things my son says lately. Well, I'm afraid to tell you that there is a good reason for this. You see something terrible has happened. I guess it was inevitable that it would happen at some point but it still doesn't make it any easier to digest. Maybe I should consider myself lucky that it took this long.  But however prepared you think you are, you can never really be prepared for the change. See, I haven't written about cute funny things lately because they simply haven't happened.....

....My son has turned into a Teenager.

A proper sulky, mardy, angst-ridden, 'the whole world is against me' Teenager.

It all started a few weeks ago when I figured it would be cheaper to get him a £10 a month phone contract with unlimited texts. Little did I know this would result in him losing all form of verbal communication - well at home anyway. My lovely sweet chatty boy has been replaced with a silent blob of testosterone. I'm trying to be cool about it. Really I am. Occasionally he'll forget, like when he woke up in the night thinking his radio was was talking to him (!), and I'll be treated to a little reminder of my lost boy. But these moments are rare. Thank god for structured activities or I don't know how I'd get him out of his room. As for homework, don't even go there!

Now....how long does this stage last for again?

2 comments:

  1. i am also a young mum in the throws of parenting my teen..it's challenging but dont doubt the love you have given him.remember how tough it was for us? it's a bumpy ride and new experience for you both.try to be kind to yourself and him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jade. I do remember it well! Stomping round the house for absolutely no reason and glaring at my parents when they spoke to me...just cos...I dunno...they existed! So I'm trying to bear this in mind and not take too personally! Cheers for reading!

    ReplyDelete